Title: Marketing & Communications Manager
Office Location: RGB Creative, 1 Prince Albert Road, Sydney NSW 2000
Final Report: Chief Executive
Period of Contract: Full time, currently until 18 August 2023. Option to renew.
Remuneration: $95,000 + super + holiday
The Sydney International Piano Competition (The Sydney) proudly stands among the greatest piano competitions of the world and will once again be held in July 2023 at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and the Sydney Opera House. The Sydney has in recent years developed and nurtured its reach to include a scope of activities through an annual calendar of events and the creation of new projects, both live and online. Activities include national and international touring of competition winners, an online Amateur Competition for Australian and Zealand pianists, Composing the Future for Australian composers and new in 2022, a regional Piano Festival weekend.
It has, from its inception in 1977, held events at the highest international level inspiring pianists and audiences alike and stimulating interest in the piano and music in general. It has provided a showcase platform for outstanding pianists from all over the world and assisted with the development of their careers as concert artists. In 2022 and the years ahead The Sydney will continue that proud tradition.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for all marketing, sales and promotional led activities culminating in the achievement of sales and advertising targets, number of applicants and a successful brand presence in the international and Australian marketplace of the Sydney International Online Piano Competition and its festivals, events and activities. The role will develop audiences through a variety of traditional and digital platforms ensuring awareness and participation including conversion to ticket sales. The role is responsible for managing and generating ticket sales income as well as income from other commercial avenues eg advertising revenue, merchandise etc. Elements of inhouse design of social media and event material is core to the implementation of activities and as is the integrated external communications of all media activities to holistically drive the market and sales strategies. The responsibilities of the Marketing and Communication Manager work in sync with activities of the sponsorship and operations team members and is a senior member of The Sydney’s team.
(including but not limited to):
STRATEGY, PLANNING AND ANALYSIS
- Write and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that includes core aspects of traditional & digital marketing (including niche marketing), sales, ticketing management and PR.
- Develop individual plans and actions for projects/activities from the marketing and communications strategy including but not limited to:
- a comprehensive international awareness and call for applications for competitors in The Sydney 2023
- a comprehensive promotion and sales driven plan for the 2022 ‘Out West Piano Fest’ and national tour of Alexander Gadjiev
- a ticketing income forecast and plan for achieving ticket income from the competition and other activities
- a comprehensive media and media engagement plan for all activities
- a dedicated social media plan
- Work with 5Stream and ABC to manage the structure, storyboarding plans and implement actions for the online broadcast of the 2023 competition
- Analyze, evaluate and report on the effectiveness of all ongoing digital marketing campaigns and strategies ensuring they are delivering an effective return on investment and defining future activity
- Extract on a regular basis segmented marketing data reports from the ticketing system that will inform the analysis and refine of the outcomes of marketing initiatives and inform future initiatives
- Management of and ensuring that an active plan is developed to maintain The Sydney’s database/s
- Ensure that the brand of The Sydney is maintained and evolves naturally to enhance the objectives of the marketing and communications strategy
TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL MARKETING
- Manage the creation and production of all print design eg programs, invitations, certificates, signage etc for the 2023 competition and selected activities in 2022 with an external designer
- Prepare all internal collateral including design layout (using supplied templates and new generation within Canva or similar design software) writing and proofing of copy for digital and printed concert programs, the monthly eNewsletter, social media postings (still and video) etc, ensuring relevant content, messaging and branding is communicated consistently across the website, social media, electronic direct mailings and print marketing materials
- Maintain the website including but not limited to uploading of content, optimization of content, application procedures, ticket information and ticketing, promotions, partner events etc
- Coordinate all social media platforms (Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok) and eNewsletter activity including creating content (still and video), simple designs, scheduling posts, coordinating promotions, moderating of comments, engaging with industry relevant content, engage with and keeping up to date with past laureates of The Sydney
- Catalogue and utilise existing audio, video and still resources for the delivery of the marketing and communications strategy
- Work with an external design agency (to be appointed), an external PR agency, and external broadcast partners, to develop and deliver on objectives specific to the 2023 competition
- Manage the external ticketing agency of the Sydney Opera House for the 2023 competition
- Identify international partnerships for marketing exposure to drive online sales, particularly in the China market
- Develop mutually beneficial relationships with media and media outlets, arts organisations, music schools, stakeholders and the local community to support the objectives of the marketing and communications strategy and plans
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key contacts, media, media outlets, stakeholders and online audiences to ensure The Sydney’s branding and key messages are accurately communicated and represented in all relevant materials
- Work will all staff to develop effective and relevant external communications for all activities and events of The Sydney
AUDIENCE AND PARTNERSHIP BUILDING
- Manipulate the Tessitura database to assist with strategy development for retention and especially growth of audiences, primarily in Australia, but also internationally
- Target appropriate audience segments and think ‘outside the square’ to amplify audiences
- Set and implement growth targets for audiences
- Work with external partners to harness collaborations
- Identify and liaise with key media and media outlets for promotion of The Sydney’s activities
- Develop effective media communication strategies including drafting of media releases and statements and pitching of content to media
- Maintain and enhance the media outlet database including identifying new media sources within Australia and Internationally
- Record and document all press coverage for archival purposes
- Coordinate and manage the photography and/or videography of The Sydney including but not limited to scheduling, use of documentation, archive of documentation, permission to use documentation etc
- With the Chief Executive, create and work with defined budgets that achieve sales and promotional targets
- Implement, micro manage, monitor and report on all budget expenditure and income related to the activities of the marketing and communication strategy and plans
- Maintain paperwork and approvals of expenditure to satisfy The Sydney’s procedures and to prevent overspend including obtaining purchase orders for all external suppliers
- Identify areas of cost-effectiveness and savings in expenditure budgets and areas for improving income generation
- Write a detailed reports on marketing activities and achievements for the Board of Directors
- Attend events and functions as required
- Other duties as reasonably required by the Chief Executive
ROLE – SELECTION CRITERIA
- Experience in a senior cultural marketing and communications role
- Expertise in budgeting, setting and achieving income and expenditure targets
- Demonstrated capacity in devising timelines, processes and systems and the implementation of such
- Experience in digital marketing platforms including basic design
- Experience in working with and managing media and media outlets
- Excellent communication skills including with written and verbal communication and the capacity to work in a team environment
- Proven, well-developed administrative and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook), with a high level attention to detail, accuracy and efficiency
- Experience working with WordPress, Canva or Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Experience working with Tessitura
- Experience working with membership programs eg ‘Friends of’
- Open driver’s license
Occupational Health and Safety and Employment Equity:
Sydney International Piano Competition is committed to high standards of performance in relation to Occupational Health and Safety and the provision of Equal Employment Opportunity. All employees are expected to participate in maintaining safe working conditions and practices, as well as promoting and upholding the principle of fair and equitable access to employment/promotion, personal development and training and the elimination of workplace harassment and discrimination.
This position is a flexible workplace position, both, working from the office as well as from home as required. Normal hours of work will be 9.30am to 5.30pm with a daily lunch break of one hour. There will be work outside of business hours of which no additional payment is granted though there is a time in lieu policy in place. Hours of work will include weekend and on-call response during the lead up to and throughout the Sydney International Piano Competition and associated activities and events from time to time.
Annual and Sick leave
Subject to the terms and conditions of the employment contract, the Employee will be entitled to holiday leave accrued proportionally at the rate of four weeks annual leave for every 52 weeks worked. No leave loading will be paid.
Sydney International Piano Competition is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply please address the SEVEN selection criteria in a cover letter of no more than two A4 pages and email, along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Tuesday 26 April 2022.